Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day

I just finished my first day of vet school, and I think it went fairly well. Classes were kinda boring because it was a lot of introductions. Histology is going to be a long class as neither the professor or the material seems very exciting. Anatomy was cool in that we got a dog skeleton to use for the semester. I started studying all the bones and parts of the bones. However, I learned that we can't take pictures of our preserved specimens when we get them because animal rights people don't think it's right. To those people I say, "Thanks for hindering my studying and pursuit to better help animals. You should be proud!"

We got our locker assignments today and mine was on the end so I would have plenty of room, right? One catch: it came pre-locked. The next locker they assigned me was also locked so I currently have a locker in the men's bathroom on the first floor while everyone else it on the second floor. Apparently, I'm special. Another snaffoo I ran into was that everyone else received a free lunch bag except me. I'm wondering if this is the result of me being the last in my class alphabetically.

So far, I've been able to borrow books and only buy coursepacks. It's nice to save a few bucks here and there.

We've been receiving lectures the past couple days about how we're professionals and need to act like it. The main point was that we should be at classes and meetings on time which I think I was so I'm good. Another point was that we are already veterinarians. We already took the veterinarian's oath and we're probably going to graduate. That one really made me think since I considered myself still a kid or student.

A little bit on my pet peeve of high expectations: After this weekend of orientation, my mother said something that has been one of my fears/concerns for a while. She said I better do well and get through vet school since the director of admissions and a lot of people here are saying that I am going to do great. Nothing like a little pressure. Oh, and apparently I know more people than I really know here. I had a conversation (not just a greeting, more of "what are doing now") with a woman that knows me, but I had no clue who she was. I guess I'm just that popular.

No comments: